Johns Hopkins University
Clark Hall 302A
3400 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218
Phone: (410) 516-7678
Applied Mathematics and Statistics
Institute for Computational Medicine
for Imaging Science
Superieure, Cachan, France
- Computational Vision
- Scene interpretation
- Image retrieval
- Molecular cancer diagnosis
- Modeling gene and protein networks
- Biomarker discovery
- Statistical Learning
- Small-sample learning
- Hierarchical testing designs
- Twenty questions theory
1961-1963: Columbia University, New York, NY
1963-1965: University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
B.A. in English Literature (June 1965)
1966-1970: Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
Ph.D. in Mathematics (June 1970)
Supervisor: Michael Marcus
Dissertation title: "Horizontal-window conditioning
and the zeros of stationary processes"
Johns Hopkins University, Department of Applied Mathematics and
University of Massachusetts, Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Assistant and Associate Professor, 1970-1980
Professor and Distinguished Professor, 1981-2001
- Department of Statistics, University of North Carolina, Chapel
Hill, Fall, 1976 - Spring, 1977.
- Division of Applied Mathematics, Brown University, Providence,
R.I., Spring, 1984.
- Departement de Mathematique, Universite de Paris-Sud, Orsay,
France, May-June, 1986.
- Universite Clermont-Ferrand, Ecole d'Ete de Probabilite de Saint-Flour,
France, August-September, 1988.
- Division of Applied Mathematics, Brown University, Providence,
R.I., 1991 - 1993.
- Forschungsinstitut fur Mathematik, ETH, Zurich, Switzerland,
- Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge, England,
- Departement de Physique, Universite de Cergy, Cergy-Pontoise,
France, June, 1996.
- Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique
(INRIA), Paris, France, periodic visits, 1990-present.
- Departement de Mathematiques Appliquees, Ecole Polytechnique,
Palaiseau, France, September-November, 1997-99.
- Department of Statistics, University of Chicago, April-May, 2000.
- Centre de Mathematiques et Leurs Applications, ENS-Cachan, France,
June, 1997; 1999-2000; Spring, 2001-2006.
- ISI Highly Cited Researcher List (Top 100 in Engineering)
- "Distinguished University Professor" at the University
- Fellow, Institute of Mathematical Statistics
- Plenary or Keynote Speaker: Annual CSNA Meeting,
Amherst, MA, 1996; ICIP, Lausanne, Switzerland, 1996; Annual NESS
Meeting, Univ.of Connecticut, 1999; Annual French Statistical
Society Meeting, Nantes, France, 2001; Biannual EMMCVPR, Sophia
Antipolis, France, 2001; MAA Meeting, Baltimore, MD, 2003; ACIVS,
Brussels, Belgium, 2004; Snowbird Learning Workshop, Snowbird, UT, 2006;
International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT06), Seattle, WA, 2006;
Norwegian Society for Image Processing and Pattern Recognition, Oslo, Norway, 2006;
Multimedia Image Retrieval (MIR'06), Santa Barbara, 2006.
- Institute of Mathematical Statistics
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- American Mathematical Society
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics; Chair,
SIAM Imaging Science Activity Group
- Carmen Acuna, "Parameter estimation for stochastic texture
models," Univ. of Mass., 1988.
- Chengda Yang, "Stochastic methods for image restoration," Univ.
of Mass., 1991.
- Keith Hartt, "Bayesian estimation of surface information from
radar images," Univ. of Mass., 1993.
- Bruno Jedynak, "Stochastic models and deterministic methods
for finding roads in remotely-sensed images," Univ. de Paris - Sud, 1995.
- Decheng Wang, "Stochastic modeling of magnetic resonance images
with applications to tissue classification," Univ. of Mass., 1996.
- Kenneth Wilder, "Decision tree algorithms for handwritten digit
recognition," Univ. of Mass., 1998.
- Chunming Li, "Classification by active testing with applications
to imaging and change detection," Univ. of Mass., 1998.
- Francois Fleuret, "Hierarchical face detection by statistical
learning," Univ. de Paris VI, 2000.
- Alexey Koloydenko, Univ. of Mass., "Modeling natural microimage
statistics," Univ. of Mass., 2000.
- Franck Jung, "Reconnaissance d'objects par focalisation et
detection de changements," Ecole Polytechnique, 2001.
- Hichem Sahbi, "Support vector machines for hierarchical face
detection," Universite de Versailles, 2003.
- Christian d'Avignon, "Applying machine learning to biomedical
data: the small-sample and interpretability dilemmas," Johns Hopkins University,
- Xiaodong Fan, "Learning a hierarchy of classifiers for multi-class
shape detection," Johns Hopkins University, 2006.
- Sachin Gangaputra, "Invariant coarse-to-fine object detection and tracking,"
Johns Hopkins University, 2006.
- Francisco Sanchez, Johns Hopkins University, in progress
- Kan Jiang, Johns Hopkins University, in progress
- Erdem Yoruk, Johns Hopkins University, in progress
- Mary Lin, Johns Hopkins University, in progress
- Ting Li, Johns Hopkins University, in progress
- Bahman Afsari, Johns Hopkins University, in progress
- Multimedia Image Retrieval (MIR'06), Santa Barbara, October 26, 2006
- Annual Meeting, "Norwegian Society for Image Processing and Pattern
Recognition," Oslo, Norway, September 7, 2006 (Keynote Address)
- International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT06), Seattle, WA, July 14, 2006 (Plenary Speaker)
- "Visual Learning and Recognition Workshop," IMA, Minneapolis, MN, May 23,
- Snowbird Learning Conference, Snowbird, Utah, April 5, 2006 (Invited Talk)
- Stochastic Systems Conference, Notre Dame University, March 25, 2006.
- Distinguished Lecture Series, Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute (SCI),
Univeristy of Utah, Salt Lake City, March 17, 2006.
- Audio- and Video-Based Biometric Person Authentication
(AVBPA 2005), Rye, New York, July 21-22, 2005.
- "Statistical Analysis of Postgenomic Data," Institut National
Agronomique Paris, April 21-22, 2005.
- Workshop on "Pattern Classification, Learning and Object
Recognition," MSRI, Berkeley, March 21-25, 2005.
- Introductory Workshop, "Mathematical, Computational and
Statistical Aspects of Image Analysis," MSRI, Berkeley, Jan.24-28, 2005.
- Workshop on Object Recognition, Taromina, Sicily, October
- Advanced Concepts for Intelligent Vision Systems, ACIVS04,
Brussels, Belgium, Aug.31 - Sept. 3, 2004 (Plenary Speaker)
- Meeting of the Mathematical Association of America, Baltimore,
MD, Nov. 7-8, 2003 (Invited Speaker).
- Computational Sciences Lecture Series: "Computational Vision
and Image Analysis,'' University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, October 30, 2003.
- "Mathematics Day'', Institute of Mathematics, Academia Sinica,
Taipei, Taiwan, September 3, 2003.
- DIMACS Workshop on "Complexity and Inference'', Rutgers University,
N.J., June 3, 2003.
- EURANDOM Workshop on "Statistical Learning in Classification
and Model Selection'', Eindhoven, Netherlands, Jan. 18, 2003.
- SIAM Minisymposium on "Mathematical Problems in Image
Analysis,''Joint Mathematics Meetings, Baltimore, MD, Jan. 16, 2003.
- "Distinguished Seminar Series on Vision,'' University of Maryland,
Oct. 16, 2002.
- SIAM 50th Anniversary and 2002 Annual Meeting, Minitutorial:
"Statistical Methods and Learning in Computer Vision,'' Philadelphia, July
- International Workshop on "Energy Minimization Methods in Computer
Vision and Pattern Recognition,'' Sophia Antipolis, France, Sept. 5, 2001
- XXXIII Journees de Statistique (Annual Meeting, French Statistical
Society), Nantes, France, May 14, 2001 (Keynote Address)
- MSRI Workshop: "Nonlinear Estimation and Classification,''Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, Berkeley, March 26, 2001.
- IMA Workshop: "Image Analysis and High Level Vision,'' Institute
of Mathematics and its Applications, Minneapolis, November 13, 2000.
- Summer Seminar Series, Center for Language and Speech Processing,
Johns Hopkins University, August 2, 2000.
- Colloquium on Signal and Image Processing, Ecole Polytechnique,
November 22, 1999.
- Euroconference on "Computer Vision and Speech Recognition:
Statistical Foundations and Applications,'' Anogia, Crete, July 4-8, 1999.
- CVPR Workshop on "Statistical and Computational Theories of
Vision,'' Fort Collins, CO, June 22, 1999.
- The Thirteenth New England Statistics Symposium, University
of Connecticut, April 24, 1999. (Plenary Speaker).
- "Birck Distinguished Lecture,'' School of Electrical and Computer
Engineering, Purdue University, March 29, 1999.
- CIRM Conference on "Information Theory, Statistics and Image
Analysis,'' Luminy, France, December 7-11, 1998.
- Symposium on "Questions Mathematiques en Traitement du Signal
et de l'Image,'' Institut Henri Poincare, December, 1998.
- Annual SPIE Meeting, Session on "Bayesian Inference for Inverse
Problems,'' San Diego, July 19-24, 1998.
- 1998 Lukacs Symposium on "Statistics for the 21'st Century,''
Bowling Green University, April 24-26, 1998.
- Workshop on "Machine Learning and Computer Vision,'' Newton
Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge, England, Oct. 6-10, 1997.
- NATO ASI Symposium on "Face Recognition: From Theory to
Applications", Stirling, UK, June 23-July 4, 1997.
- "Object Recognition and Sequential Testing'' (Lecture Series),
Ecole Normale Superieure de Cachan, June, 1997.
- Second Seminar on "Stochastic Analysis, Random Fields and Applications,'' Monte Verita, Ascona, Switzerland, September 16-21, 1996.
- IEEE International Conference on Image Processing ("ICIP-96''),
Lausanne, Switzerland, Sept. 16-19, 1996. (Plenary Speaker)
- Annual meeting: "Classification Society of North America,''Amherst,
MA., June 14-15, 1996. (Plenary Speaker)
- University de Cergy, Department Sciences de l'Information,
"Shape Quantization and Recognition,'' June, 1996. (Lecture Series)
- 24th Annual Dutch Conference on "Probability Theory and Mathematical
Statistics," Lunteren, Netherlands, November 13-15, 1995. (Lecture Series)
- Workshop on "Spatial Statistics, Image Analysis and Stochastic
Geometry," CWI, Amsterdam, November 9-11, 1995.
- Workshop on "Mathematical Methods in Computer Vision," Geometry
Center, Univ. of Minnesota, September 11-15, 1995.
- Seminaire "Mathematiques et Imagerie," ENS Cachan, March 29,
- IEEE-IMS "Information Theory and Statistics Workshop," Alexandria,
VA., October 27-29, 1994. (Plenary Speaker)
- Ninth Conference on "Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence"
(RFIA '94), Paris, January 11-14, 1994. (Plenary Speaker)
- Xu, L, D. Geman and R. Winslow (2007), "Large-scale integration of cancer microarray data
identifies a robust common cancer signature," BMC Bioinformatics 8:275.
Anderson, T. J., I. Tchernyshyov, R. Diez, R.N. Cole, D. Geman,
C. V. Dang and R. L. Winslow (2007). "Discovering robust protein
biomarkers for disease from relative expression reversals in 2D DIGE
data," Proteomics 7:1197-1207.
Sahbi, H. and D. Geman (2006). "A hierarchy of support vector machines for pattern detection." Journal of Machine Learning Research 7: 2087-2123.
Blanchard, G. and D. Geman (2005). "Sequential testing designs for pattern recognition." Annals of Statistics 33(3): 1155-1202.
Tan, A. C., D. Q. Naiman, L. Xu, R. L. Winslow and D. Geman (2005). "Simple decision rules for classifying human cancers from gene expression profiles." Bioinformatics 21(20): 3896-3904.
Xu, L., A. C. Tan, D. Q. Naiman, D. Geman and R. L. Winslow (2005). "Robust prostate cancer marker genes emerge from direct integration of inter-study microarray data." Bioinformatics 21(20): 3905-3911.
Amit, Y., D. Geman and X. Fan (2004). "A coarse-to-fine strategy for multi-class shape detection." IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 26(12): 1606-1621.
Geman, D., C. D'Avignon, D. Q. Naiman and R. L. Winslow (2004). "Classifying gene expression profiles from pairwise mRNA comparisons." Stat. Appl. Genet. Mol. Biol. 3(1): Article 19.
D'Avignon, C. and D. Geman (2003). "Tree-structured neural decoding." Journal of Machine Learning Research 4: 743-754.
Fleuret, F. and D. Geman (2001). "Coarse-to-fine face detection." International Journal of Computer Vision 41(1-2): 85-107.
Geman, D. and B. Jedynak (2001). "Model-based classification trees." IEEE Trans. Information Theory 47(3): 1075-1082.
Amit, Y. and D. Geman (1999). "A computational model for visual selection." Neural Computation 11: 1691-1715.
Amit, Y. and D. Geman (1997). “Shape quantization and recognition with randomized trees.” Neural Computation 9:1545-1588.
Amit, Y., D. Geman and K. Wilder (1997). “Joint induction of shape features and tree classifiers.” IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 19(11): 1300-1306.
Geman, D. and B. Jedynak (1996). "An active testing model for tracking roads from satellite images." IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. 18(1): 1-14.
Geman, D. and C. G. Yang (1995). "Nonlinear image recovery with half-quadratic regularization." IEEE Trans. Image Processing 4(7): 932-946.
Geman, D. and G. Reynolds (1992). "Constrained restoration and the recovery of discontinuities." IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 14(3): 367-383.
Geman, S., D. E. McClure and D. Geman (1992). "A nonlinear filter for film restoration and other problems in image processing." Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing 54(4): 281-289.
Geman, D., S. Geman, C. Graffigne and P. Dong (1990). "Boundary detection by constrained optimization." IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 12(7): 609-628.
Geman, D. (1987). "A stochastic model for boundary detection." Image and Vision Computing 5: 61-65.
Geman, S. and D. Geman (1984). "Stochastic relaxation, Gibbs distributions, and the Bayesian restoration of images." IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 6: 721-741.
Derin, H., H. Elliott, R. Christi and D. Geman (1984). "Bayes smoothing algorithms for segmentation of images modeled by Markov random fields." IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 6: 707-721.
Geman, D., J. Horowitz and J. Rosen (1984). "A local time analysis of the intersections of Brownian paths in the plane." Annals of Probability 12: 86-107.
Geman, D. and J. Horowitz (1981). "Smooth perturbations of a function with a smooth local time." Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 267: 517-530.
Geman, D. and J. Horowitz (1980). "Occupation densities." Annals of Probability 8: 1-67.
Geman, D. (1979). "Dispersion points for linear sets and approximate moduli for some stochastic processes." Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 253: 257-272.
Geman, D. and J. Zinn (1978). "On the increments of multi-dimensional random fields." Annals of Probability 6: 151-158.
Geman, D. (1977). "On the approximate local growth of multi-dimensional random fields." Z. Wahrscheinlichkeitstheorie verw. Geb. 38: 237-251.
Geman, D. (1977). "Local times for vector functions: energy integrals and local growth rates." Houston J. Math. 3: 195-206.
Geman, D. (1976). "A note on the continuity of local times." Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 57: 321-326.
Geman, D. and J. Horowitz (1976). "Occupation times for functions with countable level sets and the regeneration of stationary sequences." Z. Wahrscheinlichkeitstheorie verw. Geb. 35: 189-211.
Geman, D. and J. Horowitz (1976). "Local times for real and random functions." Duke Math. J. 43: 809-828.
Geman, D., J. Horowitz and J. Zinn (1976). "Recurrence of stationary sequences." Annals of Probability 4: 372-381.
Geman, D. and J. Horowitz (1975). "Polar sets and Palm measures in the theory of flows." Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 208: 141-159.
Geman, D. and J. Horowitz (1975). "Random shifts which preserve measure." Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 49: 143-150.
Geman, D. and J. Horowitz (1974). "Transformations of flows by discrete random measures." Indiana Univ. Math. J. 24: 291-306.
Geman, D. (1973). "A note on the distribution of hitting times." Annals of Probability 1: 854-856.
Geman, D. and J. Horowitz (1973). "Occupation times for smooth stationary processes." Annals of Probability 1: 131-137.
Geman, D. and J. Horowitz (1973). "Remarks on Palm measures." Annals Inst. H. Poincare 9: 215-232.
Geman, D. (1972). "On the variance of the number of zeros of a stationary Gaussian process." Annals Math. Stat. 43: 977-982.
- Ferecatu, M. and D. Geman (2007), "Interactive search for image categories by mental matching,"
Proc. Inter. Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV '07), Rio de Janeiro.
Koloydenko, A. and D. Geman (2006). "Ordinal coding of image microstructure." Proc. Inter. Conf. Image Processing, Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (IPCV’06), Las Vegas.
Gangaputra, S. and D. Geman (2006). "A design principle for coarse-to-fine classification." Proc. IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), New York, New York: 1877-1884.
Fang, Y. and D. Geman (2005). "Experiments in mental face retrieval." Proc. Inter. Conf. on Audio and Video-based Biometric Person Authentication (AVBPA), Rye, NY, Lecture Notes in Computer Science: 637-646.
Gangaputra, S. and D. Geman (2005). "A unified stochastic model for detecting and tracking faces." Proc. Second Canadian Conf. on Computer and Robot Vision (CRV’05), Victoria, British Columbia: 306-313.
Fan, X. and D. Geman (2004). "Hierarchical object indexing and sequential learning." Proc. 17th Inter. Conf. on Pattern Recognition (ICPR’04), Cambridge, UK: 65-68.
Gangaputra, S. and D. Geman (2004). "Self-normalized linear tests." Proc. IEEE Inter. Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR’04), Washington DC: 616-662.
Geman, D., C. D'Avignon, D. Q. Naiman, R. L. Winslow and A. Zeboulon (2004). "Gene expression comparisons for class prediction in cancer studies." Proc. 36’th Symp. On the Interface: Computing Science and Statistics, Baltimore.
- Fleuret, F. and D. Geman (2002). "Fast face detection with precise pose estimation." Proc. 16th Inter. Conf. on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), Québec City: 235-238.
- Sahbi, H., D. Geman and N. Boujemaa (2002). "Face detection using coarse-to-fine support vector classifiers." Proc. IEEE Inter. Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP), Rochester, New York: 3, 925-928.
- Geman, D. (2001). "Interrogation Bayesienne d'une base de donnees." 33rd Journees de Statistique, Nantes, France: 15-20.
- Geman, D. and R. Moquet (2000). "A stochastic model for image retrieval." Proc. Reconnaissance des Formes et Intelligence Artificielle (RFIA), Paris, France.
- Fleuret, F. and D. Geman (1999). "Graded learning for object detection." Proc. 1st IEEE Workshop on Statistical and Computational Theories of Vision (SCTV), Fort Collins, Colorado.
- Geman, D. and A. Koloydenko (1999). "Invariant statistics and coding of natural microimages." Proc. 1st IEEE Workshop on Statistical and Computational Theories of Vision (SCTV), Fort Collins, Colorado.
- Li, C. and D. Geman (1999). "Active testing at multiple resolutions." Proc. Conf. American Statistical Association (ASA), Baltimore, Maryland.
- Geman, D. (1994). "The entropy strategy for shape recognition." Proc. IEEE-IMS Workshop on Information Theory and Statistics, Alexandria, VA.
- Geman, D. and B. Jedynak (1994). "Shape recognition and twenty questions." Proc. Reconnaissance des Formes et Intelligence Artificielle (RFIA) : 21-37.
- Geman, D., J. Horowitz and J. Kepner (1993). "Computation of IRAS fluxes via a priori astrometry." Proc. Conf.on Infrared Astronomy with Arrays: The Next Generation, Los Angeles, California.
- Geman, D. and B. Jednyak (1991). "Detection of roads in SPOT satellite images." Proc. IEEE Inter. Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symp.(IGARSS), Helsinski, Finland.
- Geman, D. (1985). "Bayesian image analysis by adaptive annealing." Proc. IEEE Inter. Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symp. (IGARSS): 269-276.
Gangaputra, S. and D. Geman (2006). The trace model for object detection and tracking.
Toward Category-Level Object Recognition , Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 4170. J. Ponce et al.
Berlin, Springer-Verlag: 401-420.
Geman, D. (2003). Coarse-to-fine classification and scene labeling. Nonlinear Estimation and Classification. Lecture Notes in Statistics, 171. D. D. Denison, M. Hansen, C. C. Holmes, B. Mallick and B. Yu. New York, Springer-Verlag: 31-48.
Amit, Y., D. Geman and B. Jedynak (1998). Efficient focusing and face detection. Face Recognition: From Theory to Applications. H. Wechsler. Berlin, Springer-Verlag: 157-173.
Jung, F., B. Jednyak and D. Geman (1997). Recognizing buildings in aerial images. Automatic Extraction of Man-Made Objects from Aerial and Space Images (II). A. Gruen, E. P. Baltsavias and O. Basel. Birkhauser: 173-182.
Geman, D., G. Reynolds and C. Yang (1993). Stochastic algorithms for restricted image spaces and experiments in deblurring. Markov Random Fields: Theory and Applications. R. Chellappa and A. Jain, Academic Press: 39-68.
Geman, D. and B. Gidas (1991). Image Analysis and Computer Vision. Spatial Statistics and Image Processing , National Academy Press, Washington: 9-37.
Geman, D. (1990). Remarks on hard modeling vs. image processing, circumstellar disks, and model validation. Restoration of HST Images and Spectra, Space Telescope Science Institute: 74-79.
Geman, D., S. Geman and C. Graffigne (1987). Locating object and texture boundaries. Pattern Recognition Theory and Applications. P. Devijver and J. Kittler, Springer-Verlag.
Derin, H., H. Elliott, R. Christi and D. Geman (1986). Application of the Gibbs distribution to image segmentation. Statistical Image Processing and Graphics, Marcel-Dekker: 3-24.
Geman, D. and S. Geman (1986). Bayesian image analysis. Disordered Systems and Biological Organization. E. Bienenstock, F. Fogelman and G. Weisbuch, Springer-Verlag.
Geman, D. (1990). "Random Fields and Inverse Problems in Imaging." Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Springer-Verlag. 1427: 113-193.
Fang, Y., D. Geman, N. Boujemaa, J. P. Chièze and H. Sahbi (2004). Experiments in mental face retrieval. Project IMEDIA, INRIA-Rocquencourt.
Krempp, S., D. Geman and Y. Amit (2002). Sequential learning with reusable parts for object detection. Center for Imaging Science, Johns Hopkins University.
Geman, D. and R. Moquet (2001). Q & A models for interactive search, Center for Mathematics and Its Applications, ENS-Cachan, France.
Dupuis, P., D. Geman, J. Horowitz and G. Reynolds (1991). Statistical inference on the shape of circumstellar disks from HST observations, University of Massachusetts.
Geman, D. and S. Geman (1987). Relaxation and annealing with constraints. Complex Systems Technical Report No. 35, Division of Applied Mathematics, Brown University.
Geman, D. (1984). Parameter estimation for Markov random fields with hidden variables and experiments with the EM algorithm. Reports on Pattern Analysis No. 21, Division of Applied Mathematics, Brown University.
Geman, D. and S. Geman (1983). Parameter estimation for some Markov random fields. Reports on Pattern Analysis No. 11, Division of Applied Mathematics, Brown University.